If you’ve been following my Instagram TV series #GroWithSarah you’ll see that I began my hair journey explaining my difficulties with hair loss due to low iron.
Once my iron levels stabilised, my hair began to grow again. However hair length retention and strength became an issue.
As this is a sign of low protein in the hair, I decided to try the rice water hair treatment.
For more information on this process view https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_xvrRtJZeb/?igshid=1kj6vi2mdehzi
After 2 weeks I noticed my hair felt thicker, stronger and had grown!
I’ll be doing an updated hair length check soon. The first time I did not use a measuring tape so I am unsure what the length of my hair was in picture one. In picture 2 my hair was fuller to the ends as you’ll see and measured at 14 inches.
If you notice, my hair is thicker, longer and looks healthier.
My shrinkage in picture 2 is far more noticeable. Like all girls with type 4 hair, I am use to shrinkage however not like this.
I was nervous at first but I did my research and shrinkage is a good thing.
When your hair doesn’t shrink as much as it should, this is a sign that your hair could be protein deficient, not well moisturised or heat damaged. In my case it was protein and dryness.
Shrinkage is a sign of well moisturised and healthy hair.
It shows my hair elasticity is good but most importantly for me on this journey, it shows that a good sign of protein in my hair.
The treatment is working.
Below is a step by step on what you’ll need and the process
What you’ll need
– tight air sealed jar – https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009L5XW32/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B009L5XW32&linkCode=as2&tag=sarahalonge20-21&linkId=c3188466bb309719090c8c3e428d5294
– half a cup of rice (any will do)
– 3-4 cups of purified water – I pre boil my water and let it cool down or I use water from a water filter
– peppermint oil – https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01ENGPL1E/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B01ENGPL1E&linkCode=as2&tag=sarahalonge20-21&linkId=b3c08186ac3bdbd0a7c19d2042b00849
– orange peel
Step one – rinse through your rice in a drainer
Step two – add the rice to a jar
Step 3 – pour the water to the jar
Step 4 – add the orange peel
Step 5 – add 4-6 drops of peppermint oil
Step 6 – tightly seel the jar and store in a dark place like a kitchen cupboard for 48 hours
The peppermint oil and orange peel are optional however I use both items to help eliminate the very pungent smell of fermented rice water and also peppermint oil is great for the hair.
peppermint is known to help improve hair growth when added to your hair treatmentsas well as prevent some hair loss. Peppermint menthol also imparts a freshened smell and tingly sensation on the skin and scalp.
1. Wash your hair using shampoo or using the co wash method
2. Using a spray bottle, spray the rice water on your hair. For best result, spray in sections and don’t forget your edges. Once you spray your hair from the roots to the ends, pour the remaining rice water over your hair.
Spray bottle – https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YY2KZD4/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=6738&creativeASIN=B07YY2KZD4&linkCode=as2&tag=sarahalonge20-21&linkId=3ec1ccd624380b2d2b42763dfcab2d54
3. Cover your hair with a cap or a bag for 30 – 45 minutes
4. Rinse out the rice water with Luke warm water
5. Deep condition your hair for 30 minutes once the rice water has been rinsed out.
6. Rinse the conditioner out and begin your moisturising routine. For details on my moisturising routine check out my blog post https://sarahalonge.com/2020/05/13/low-iron-hair-loss-growing-my-crown/
I repeat this protein treatment once every 2 weeks. And will be doing this over an 8 week period.
Disclaimer – make sure you keep your hair moisturised when embarking on a protein treatment. Aim to moisturise your hair using the LCO or LOC method ( depending on your porosity) 2 – 3 times a week and spray with water daily.
I use the LCO method (liquid, cream, oil) as I have low porosity hair.
I hope the above helps… let me know how you get on #groWithSarah